- transparency of legal system applied to business in Jamaica, for the Inter
American Development Bank (1991).
- transparency of Philippine laws on energy regulation, for the World Bank
(1993 - 1995).
- transparency of Malaysian electricity regulation, for Tenaga Nacional Berhad
- legal foundations for electric power regulation in the Philippines, for the
Philippine Energy Regulatory Board (1995).
- legal foundations for natural gas regulation in the Philippines, for the
Philippine Energy Regulatory Board (1995).
- annotation of the Orissa Electricity Reform Act, for the Orissa Electricity
Regulatory Commission, India (1997).
- analysis of legal and regulatory issues, including United States state and
federal constitutional, contract, environmental and tariff law issues, of legal
systems of 13 United States states and territories, in studies required for
privatization of utility systems of military bases of the United States
Department of Defence for the United States Department of Defense (with C.H.
Guernsey as engineering contractor, 1988 - 2000).
- transparency of the Ukrainian legal and power sector regulatory systems, for
the United States Agency for International Development (2000 - 2003).
MARKET AND MARKET STRUCTURE
- market structure analysis of U.S. city gate contract deliveries from
interstate pipelines, for the Illinois Commerce Commission. Developed method of
analysis now commonly used for similar problems by the Federal Energy Regylatory
Commission (1986 - 1989).
- market structure analysis of upper middle west U.S. natural gas pipelines,
for the Illinois Commerce Commission, Iowa State Utilities Board and Indiana
Office of Consumers Counsel (1985 - 1988).
- United States electricity generation as a market for natural gas, for Shell
Oil Company, Houson (1991).
- natural gas markets of the northwestern United States, for the Canadian
Association of Petroleum Producers (1991 - 1994).
- competitivenss of United States energy markets, in sole-authored book
Energy: Ending the Never-Ending Crisis, CATO Institute Press, (1997).
- competitiveness of the PJM power markets, for group of New Jersey Boroughs
- competitive risks inherent in the structure of the Ukraine thermal
generation industry, for USAID, (2001 - 2003).
- redesign of the wholesale electricity market of Ukraine, for USAID, (2001 - 2003).
CORPORATE STRATEGY OR PLANNING
- benefits from competition among potentially separated pieces of an
integrated utility, for that company (with NERA, 1989).
- natural gas supply and price forecasts for strategic plan of Southern
Company, for that company (with NERA, 1990).
- stochastic dynamic programming analysis of capacity expansion plan of
Baltimore Gas and Electric Company, for that company (with NERA, 1990).
- analysis of electric power transmission contracting in relationship to
transmission capacity planning and system operation, of Public Service Company
of New Mexico, for that company (with NERA, 1989 - 1990).
NATIONAL MARKET TRANSITION
- developed and implemented technical and legal strategy for transforming
united states interstate natural gas pipelines from vertically integrated
monopolies to open access carriers, for Illinois Commerce Commission (1986 -
- co-author of analysis of Philippine electric power sector transition from
monopolistic with shortages to open markets with adequate supply, for the World
Bank (1993 - 1994).
- analysis of strategic options for development of the Ukraine wholesale power
supply market, and implementation of a wholesale electricity market concept
by the Ukrainian Cabinet of Ministers, for USAID, (2001 - 2003).
- electric utility retail supply, bulk power and transmission rate analysis,
for the Kansas Corporation Commission (1980 - 1985).
- electric utility interstate transmission tariff analysis, for the Kansas
Corporation Commission (1980 - 1985).
- design and analysis of electricity transmission tariffs and related services
rates of local distribution and national transmission companies, for Philippine
Energy Regulatory Board (1995).
- design of electricity marginal cost tariffs, for Tenaga Nacional Berhad
- natural gas retail utility tariff analysis, for the Kansas Corporation
- natural gas interstate pipeline transmission tariff analysis, for Kansas
Corporation Commission, Illinois Commerce Commission, Canadian Association of
Petroleum Producers, Alberta Petroleum Marketing Commission, Kansas Gas Supply
Corporation, Florida Cities Fuels Committee (1980 - 1998).
- natural gas pipeline national tariff analysis, for the Philippine Energy
Regulatory Board (1995).
- develop and implement a retail electricity transmission and supply tariff that attracted international investors to purchase local
distribution companies in the Ukraine, for the National Electricity Regulatory
Commission of Ukraine, via USAID, (2000 - 2002).
POWER AND FUEL SUPPLY CONTRACT
- analysis of purchase power contacts of all electric utilities in state, in
audits of fuel adjustment clauses and policy hearings, for the Kansas
Corporation Commission(1980 - 1984).
- analysis of all natural gas purchase contracts for all utilities serving the
state, for the Kansas Corporation Commission fuel adjustment clause hearings
(1980 - 1985).
- fuel clause audits and analysis of all natural gas and electric utilities
serving the state, for the Kansas Corporation Commission (180 - 1985).
- audit of natural gas take or pay contract renegotiation settlement
agreements of most major United States interstate pipelines, for the Illinois
Commerce Commission (1985 - 1988).
- purchased gas cost adjustment clause audits of most major interstate
pipelines in the United States, for the Kansas Corporation Commission and for
the Illinois Commerce Commission (1983 - 1988).
- analysis of price in Canadian gas supply contracts serving the state of
California, for Pacific Gas Transmission Company (with NERA, 1991).
- analysis of purchase power supply contracts of Philippine National Power
Corporation, for the Philippine Energy Regulatory Board (1995).
- assistance in electric power purchase RFP to group of New Jersey boroughs;
analysis of power needs to prepare RFP strategy; comparative analysis of bids
offered (with Betts and Holt, 1999).
- purchasing practices of Northern Natural Gas Company (now ENRON), for the
Kansas Corporation Commission (1883 - 1985).
- purchasing practices of Panhandle Eastern Pipe Line Company, for the
Illinois Commerce Commission (1985 - 1987).
- contracting and contract renegotiation of Algerian LNG by Trunkline Gas
Company, for the Illinois Commerce Commission (1985 - 1987).
- shareholder disclosure analysis of planning and corporate strategy of Public
Service Company of New Mexico, for that company (with NERA, 1989 - 1990).
- issue forecasts of energy industry events, for the Illinois Commerce
Commission (1986 - 1990).
- natural gas price forecasts for various clients of NERA and of Ballonoff
Consulting (1989 - 1995).
- published 864 price forecasts of natural gas prices, tested against actually
realized subsequent prices, with near zero mean error, for pre-paid subscribers
consisting largely of major United States utilities and energy resource
companies (1991 - 1995).
- see also strategic planning sub-heading above.
- managed $1.2 million project for training of staff of the Philippine Energy
Regulatory Board, including definition of needs, recruitment of service
providers, contracting of service, and service delivery oversight, for that
Board (1995 - 1996).
- taught "market economics and competition law", in cooperation with
International Law Institute, for the Philippine Energy Regulatory Board (1995).
- taught "systems analysis for utility regulation", as part of utility
regulation course for middle and high rank utility executives, via C. H.
Guernsey and Company (1996).
- taught history of regulatory law and comparative international regulatory
law issues, as part of training course for international mid-level managers, for
the International Law Institute, (2000).
- design and manage diverse regulatory and economic training courses for
Ukraine government agencies, as part of the task of Chief of Party for the
Hunton & Williams Kiev Project Office (2000 - 2002).
- internal consistency of distribution of authority among Philippine energy
regulatory agencies, for World Bank (1993).
- institutional structure, resource needs, training needs, possible forms of
organization, and budgetary needs of the Philippine Energy Regulatory Board, for
that Board (1993 - 1995).
- effectiveness of use of sector loan development funds by Philippine Energy
Regulatory Board, for World Bank (1995 - 1996).
- strategic and tactical analysis of reforms possible in instutions,
and management of implementation of actual reforms, Ukraine, for USAID (2000 - 2003).
- create and prosecute strategies to effect policy choices of regulatory body
in tariff cases, for the Illinois Commerce Commission (1985 - 1990).
- manage and conduct large scale discovery in litigated cases on diverse
energy and energy-competition issues, for diverse clients (1982 - 2000).
- author briefs and other legal analysis in litigated cases, for diverse
clients (1983 - 2000).